Skip to content
- Kim, A.W., Lambert, M., Norris, S.A. Mendenhall, E. (2023). Barriers to treatment and social experiences of prostate cancer treatment among Black South African men in Soweto, South Africa. Ethnicity & Health.
- Kim, A.W., Mohamed, R.S., Norris, S.A., Richter, L.M., Kuzawa, C.W. (2022). Psychological legacies of intergenerational trauma under South African apartheid: Prenatal stress predicts increased vulnerability to the psychological impacts of future stress exposure during late adolescence and early adulthood in Soweto, South Africa. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry.
- Oyenubi, A., Kim, A.W., Kollamparambil, U. (2022). COVID-19 risk perceptions and depressive symptoms in South Africa: Causal evidence in a longitudinal and nationally representative sample. Journal of Affective Disorders.
- Mpondo, F., Kim, A.W., Mendenhall, E., Tsai, A., Norris, S.A. (2022). Development and validation of the Soweto Coping Scale: A mixed-methods, population-based study of adults living in Soweto, South Africa. Journal of Affective Disorders.
- Mendenhall, E., Kim, A.W., Panasci, A., Cele, L., Norris, S.A. Tsai, A. (2022). Soweto Syndemics: A Two-Phase Study of Syndemic Clusters in a South African Township. Nature Human Behavior.
- Kolkenbeck-Ruh, A., Soepnel, L., Kim, A.W., Naidoo, S., Smith, W., Davies, J., Ware, L.J. (2022). Pulse wave velocity in South African women and children: Comparison between the Mobil-O-Graph and SphygmoCor Xcel devices. Journal of Hypertension.
- Kim, A.W., Maaroganye, K., Subramaney, U. (2021). Mental health experiences of public psychiatric healthcare workers during COVID-19 across southern Gauteng, South Africa: A call for strengthening public mental healthcare. 2021 South African Health Review.
- Kim, A.W., Burgess, R., Kwinda, Z., Chiwandire, N., Mendenhall, E. (2021). Perceptions, understandings, and impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic in urban South Africa. South African Journal of Psychiatry.
- Austin, M.K., White, I.I., Kim, A.W. (2021). Parental Incarceration and Child Physical Health Outcomes from Infancy to Adulthood: A Multi-Level Model of Potential Pathways and Critical Review. American Journal of Human Biology.
- Kim, A.W., Kakuhikire, B., Baguma, C., North, C.M., Satinsky, E.N., Perkins, J.M., Ayebare, P., Kiconco, A., Namara, E.B., Bangsberg, D.R., Siedner, M.J., Tsai, A.C. (2021) Adverse Childhood Experiences and Adult Cardiovascular Disease Outcomes: Cross-Sectional, Population-Based Study of Adults in Rural Uganda. Journal of Global Health.
- Ware, L.J., Kim, A.W., Prioreschi, A., Nyati, L., Draper, C., Lye, S.J., Norris, S.A. (2021). Social vulnerability and parity in urban African young women: A Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative (HeLTI). Journal for Public Health Policy.
- Mpondo, F., Kim, A.W., Tsai, A., Mendenhall, E. Development and validation of the Soweto Stress Scale: Mixed-methods, population-based study of adults living in Soweto, South Africa. Social Science & Medicine.
- Backe, E.L., Bosire, E.N., Kim, A.W., Mendenhall, E. “Thinking Too Much”: A Systematic Review of the Idiom of Distress in sub-Saharan Africa. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry.
- Kim, A.W., Nyengerai, T., Mendenhall, E. (2020). Evaluating the Mental Health Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic in Urban South Africa: Perceived Risk of COVID-19 Infection and Childhood Trauma Predict Adult Depressive Symptoms. Psychological Medicine.
- McKerracher, L., Fried, R., Kim, A.W., Moffat, T., Sloboda, D. Galloway, T. (2020). Digest: Synergies between the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (DOHaD) Framework and Multiple Branches of Evolutionary Anthropology. Evolutionary Anthropology.
- Lambert, M., Mendenhall, E.M., Kim, A.W., Cubasch, H., Joffe, M., Norris, S.A. (2020). Health System Experiences of Breast Cancer Survivors in urban South Africa. Women’s Health.
- Kim, A.W., Adam, E.K., Bechayda, S.A., Kuzawa, C.W. (2020). Early life exposure to domestic violence and HPA axis function independently predict adult depression in metropolitan Cebu, Philippines. American Journal of Physical Anthropology.
- Subramaney, U., Kim, A.W., Chetty, I., Chetty, S., Jayrajh, P., Govender, M., Maharaj, P., Pak, E. (2020). Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and Psychopathology in South Africa: Anxiety and Beyond. Wits Journal of Clinical Medicine.
- Mendenhall, E., Bosire, E., Kim, A.W., Norris, S.A. (2019). Cancer, chemotherapy, and HIV: Living with Cancer amidst Comorbidity in a South African Township. Social Science & Medicine.
- Kim. A.W., Kaiser, B., Bosire, E., Shahbazian, K., Norris, S., Mendenhall E. (2019). Idioms of Resilience among Cancer Patients in Urban South Africa: An Anthropological Heuristic for the Study of Culture and Resilience. Transcultural Psychiatry.
- Shreckengost, C. H., Kim, A.W., Whitaker, S.H., Weng, L., Pearce, B.D., Kaiser, B.N. (2019). Prevalence of Folate Deficiency in Adult Men and Women in the Haitian Central Plateau. International Health.
- Mendenhall, E., Kim, A.W. (2019). How to Fail a Scale: Reflections on a Failed Attempt to Assess Resilience. Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry.
- Thayer, Z.M., Wilson, M.A., Kim, A.W., & Jaeggi, A.V. (2018). Impact of prenatal stress on offspring glucocorticoid levels: A phylogenetic meta-analysis across 14 vertebrate species. Scientific Reports, 8(1), 4942.
- Kim, A.W. (2023). “Epidemic Illusions: On the Coloniality of Global Public Health. Eugene Richardson. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, 2020. Medical Anthropology Quarterly.
- Burgess, R., Kim, A.W., Cele, L., Khadka, S., Sigdel, K., Hagaman, A.K. (2022). Psychosocial training and support guidelines for research staff. Bulletin of the World Health Organization.
- Kim, A.W. (2020). Promoting mental health in community and research settings during COVID-19: Perspectives and experiences from a South African epidemiological study. Invited Commentary. American Journal of Human Biology.
- Kim. A.W. (2020). Is it time to rethink how we deliver mental healthcare services? Mental Health Matters. 7(3), 30-32.
- Kim, A.W. (2020). How should we study intergenerational trauma? Reflections from a 30-year birth cohort study in Soweto, South Africa. Somatosphere.
- Kuzawa, C.W., Kim, A.W. (2021). Early environments, developmental plasticity and chronic degenerative disease. In N. Cameron & B. Bogin (Eds.), Human growth and development. Second Edition. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Inc.
- Kim, A.W., Susser, E.S. (2021). Epidemiology in Community Psychiatry. In McQuistion, H.L., Sowers, W.E., Ranz, J.M., Feldman, J.M. (Eds.) Handbook of Community Psychiatry. New York: Springer.
- Kim, A.W., Subramaney, U. Psychiatric Morbidity and Mental Healthcare during the Coronavirus Pandemics in South Africa. In Dhai, A., Ballot, D. Veller, M. (Eds.) Pandemics in Healthcare: Principles, Processes and Practice. Cape Town: JUTA Academic.
- (In press) Mendenhall, E., Kim, A.W., Bosire, E. (2020). Qualitative Research in Mental Health in the African Context. In Ndetei, D. (Eds.) African Textbook of Clinical Psychiatry and Mental Health. Second Edition. Nairobi: The African Medical and Research Foundation.
- Mendenhall, E., Kim, A.W. (2020). Rethinking Idioms of Distress and Resilience in Anthropology and Global Mental Health. In Dyer, A., Kohrt, B., Candilis, P., & Cratsley, K. (Eds.) Textbook of Global Mental Health: Ethical Principles and Best Practices. New York: Springer.
- Smith, A.K., Parets, S.E., Kim, A.W. (2013). Epigenetics of Psychopathology. In Rhee, S.H. & Ronald, A. (Eds.), Behavior Genetics of Psychopathology. New York: Springer.
Reports, Public Articles, and Other Publications
- Kim, A.W. NPOwer Mental Health Programme: Survey Findings and Recommendations. South African Depression and Anxiety Group & Tshikululu Social Investments.
- Kim. A.W., Mendenhall. E. Mental health and childhood trauma influenced how people perceived risk for COVID-19 during the first six weeks of South African lockdown. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/people-in-soweto-told-us-about-their-fears-in-the-first-weeks-of-south-africas-lockdown-142325
- Kim. A.W. COVID-19 has changed the way South Africa’s only toll-free mental health hotline works. Here’s why it matters. 8 August 2020. Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism. https://bhekisisa.org/article/2020-08-11-covid19-mental-health-south-africa-telemedicine-depression-anxiety-group/
- Kim. A.W. (2020). Co-creating an integrated approach to Mental Health/Psychosocial Support Services & Peacebuilding – Preliminary findings. Institute for Justice and Reconciliation. January 2020.
- Kim. A.W. (2016). Community food assessment in La Alma-Lincoln Park. Hunger Free Colorado. Congressional Hunger Center. February 2016.
- Kim. A.W. (2016). Food insecurity in farmworker communities. Farmworker Justice. Congressional Hunger Center. August 2016.
- Radio 702 – The Best of Weekend Breakfast. Understanding on the mental health of the NPO sector during the Pandemic.https://www.702.co.za/podcasts/444/the-best-of-weekend-breakfast/525198/understanding-on-the-mental-health-of-the-npo-sector-during-the-pandemic.
- CGTN Africa. Impact of COVID on mental health in Africa. 30 minute TV panel discussion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXVlTM_idI&ab_channel=CGTNAfrica.
- National Institutes of Health – Fogarty International Center. Profile: Dr Andrew Kim studies the impact of apartheid-based prenatal stress and COVID-19 in South Africa. https://www.fic.nih.gov/News/GlobalHealthMatters/january-february-2021/Pages/andrew-kim-prenatal-stress-south-africa.aspx.
- News24. Researchers find Covid-19 affects mental well-being. https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/researchers-find-covid-19-affects-mental-well-being-20210316.
- Scientific American – Arabic Version. https://www.scientificamerican.com/arabic/articles/news/ warnings-about-danger-of-covid-19-on-mental-health/. 11 November 2020. Article.
- Health24. Lockdown, pandemic effects: Soweto study re-emphasises need for better access to mental healthcare. https://www.health24.com/medical/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/lockdown-pandemic-effects-soweto-study-re-emphasises-need-for-better-access-to-mental-healthcare-20201027-3.
- Cambridge University Press. Fear of COVID-19 raises risk of depression among Soweto’s deprived communities. Press Release. Syndicated in Healio, Medical Xpress
- The Lancet Digital Health. Africa turns to telemedicine to close mental health gap. 1 November 2020. News article. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landig/article/PIIS2589-7500(20)30252-1/fulltext#%20.
- Radio 702 – Afternoon Drive with Joanne Joseph. COVID-19 has changed the way SA’s only toll-free mental health helpline works. Here’s why it matters. 11 August 2020. Radio interview. https://www.702.co.za/podcasts/196/the-best-of-afternoon-drive-with-joanne-joseph/349175/covid-19-has-changed-the-way-sas-only-toll-free-mental-health-helpline-works-heres-why-it-matters.
- Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism. COVID-19 has changed the way South Africa’s only toll-free mental health helpline works. Here’s why it matters. 11 August 2020. Opinion article. https://bhekisisa.org/article/2020-08-11-covid19-mental-health-south-africa-telemedicine-depression-anxiety-group/. Syndicated in The Daily Maverick.
- GauTV – Daughters of Destiny. Biology of Gender-Based Violence. 1 November 2019.
- ScienceDaily. Humans and others exposed to prenatal stress have high stress levels after birth. 10 April 2018. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180410161135.htm
- The Atlanta Journal Constitution. Emory to help immigrant students. 18 April 2015. http://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/emory-help-immigrant-students/YuPLJyycdVhzQtBY8dHalJ/
- WABE – NPR’s Local Atlanta Radio Station. Emory To Offer Financial Aid To Some Undocumented Students. 3 April 2015. https://www.wabe.org/emory-offer-financial-aid-some-undocumented-students/